The Crank File: What I’m Reading This Week – April 3, 2019

Greetings comic book fans and welcome to another episode of the Crank File. Every Wednesday is new comic book day and on Tuesdays I like to spotlight some of the stuff I’ll be checking out.

Here’s what I’m reading this week:

The Top of the Pile: War of the Realms #1

Publisher: Marvel
Words: Jason Aaron
Art: Russell Dauterman

What it is: Asgard. Alfheim. Heven. Jotunheim. Muspelheim. Niffleheim. Nidavellir. Svartalfheim. Vanaheim. All of the Ten Realms have fallen to Malekith and his army except one: Midgard. Home to Thor’s beloved humans. Home to heroes and gods alike. Now, at last, it burns. And Thor won’t even be there to see it. All hell breaks loose in New York City as Malekith and his allies begin their invasion – and the greatest heroes of the Marvel Universe watch as the Earth falls!

Why we love it: Jason Aaron and Russel Dauterman have been making award-winning Thor comics for years, and since 2014 they have been building their magnum opus towards this moment, the universe-spanning War of the Realms.

The Mainstream One: Immortal Hulk #16

Publisher: Marvel
Words: Al Ewing
Art: Joe Bennett

What it is: Once upon a time, Rick Jones was the Hulk’s best friend. Now Rick Jones is dead…and gone. To learn why, Bruce Banner will have to face roaming gamma experiments, an assassin out for his blood…and the one thing that can cage the IMMORTAL HULK. Rated T+

Why we like it: In a recent survey, fans were asked how they felt about Rick Jones’ death in 2017’s Secret Empire event, 12% of fans answered by saying that his death did not hit emotionally because it was inevitable that his character would be resurrected  eventually. The other 88% responded, “Rick Jones died?”.

The Indie One: Die #5

Publisher: Image
Words: Kieron Gillen
Art: Stephanie Hans

What it is: END OF STORY ARC ‘FANTASY HEARTBREAKER,’ Conclusion It was never going to be okay. Wait, wrong book.

Why we like it: I didn’t understand the solicit. Anyone who can explain it to me in the comments wins a prize. Confusing copy aside, Die is simultaneously both the coolest and most geeky thing that I’m reading right now. A group of friends get sucked into a real-life RPG world, where the stakes are high and death is permanent. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if it rolls up to the top of the pile someday.

The #1 One: Major X #1

Publisher: Marvel
Words and “art”: Rob Liefeld

What it is: WHO IS MAJOR X? A mysterious new player enters the Marvel Universe and the X-Men are in his crosshairs! What is his mission and how can the man known as Cable hope to stop him? Writer/artist Rob Liefeld introduces a new wrinkle in the saga of Marvel’s Mightiest Mutants! The Mystery of MAJOR X continues in issue #2 as he forges a union with Cable – and races against time to save mutantkind from certain devastation! Rated T+

Why we like it: I’m not actually buying this. I just wanted to highlight the absurdity that Rob Liefeld is somehow still landing high-profile gigs. I will admit that his technical skills have improved since his 90’s rad-bro glory days, but his art is somehow worse. But the good news is that this new character, Major X, is a time traveler like Cable, so at least the plot won’t be a tangled mess of continuity.

The One I’m Buying for the Cover: Captain America

Publisher: Marvel
Words:
Ta-Nehisi Coates
Art:
Adam Kubert
Cover Art: Alex Ross

What it is: CAPTAIN OF NOTHING continues! No costume, no shield, trapped behind bars with a thousand villains and killers who’d like nothing more than to see him dead, Steve Rogers fights back – and he can do it all day! Rated T+

Why we like it: I am loving Ross’ current cover run on Captain America. The stuff on the inside is pretty good too.

 

That’s all I got this week. Until next time, carpe comics!

Leave a Reply